Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Not what, but who, you know...

I’ve recently had discussions with some other allotment-holders about the availability of plots and it seems that, to get one in Farnworth, I have to wait until current holders pop their clogs. So far two years has passed and we’re not in possession of our own ground. So you can imagine how happy I was when the place where I keep the bees offered me a plot there. Strictly speaking it’s a bit naughty as I am not resident in Manchester, but the need for land is so great I took it anyway. My dad said that when we finally get ourselves sorted he will give up his, so it looks like the end of the long days to Rainford to dig and plant will get closer as the year draws on.
So on Saturday we took the 15 minute drive to Whitefield and started work on our own allotment, slap bang in the middle of the site. It is, unfortunately, almost completely covered in grass, so a lot of back-breaking, blister-forming, slicing, turning, digging, sweating and swearing will be done before it’s anywhere near ready. The soil itself is clay, but not too bad, although the rubbish being unearthed makes me wonder what the site was used for previously – a tip I think, judging by the mattress springs I dug up.
Four hours of toil cleared about a quarter of the site and we were more than happy with that. A line of beetroot and spinach, some poached-egg plants and a few rows of beans went in and that was it for the first session. I went back a couple of days later to water but in hot summers (ha!) that’ll have to be every day I think. Now all we have to worry about is turning over the rest.

No comments: