Monday, April 25, 2011

How not to hive a swarm...

For the second time since I started keeping bees, I had a swarm. I got the phone call at 5.30 one night and later we went over to see what they were up to. Not a lot as it happens; they were sat on a post, as quiet as could be.
So I scraped them into a carboard box, propped open one corner with a stick and left them to it.

The next afternoon I went to house them in a proper hive, collected the box:
But they had other ideas, as you can see. After buzzing around the plots in a cloud for what seemed like ages, they finally settled on the same post they were on originally.
So I waited until the evening, then went back. This time they were clustered more on the fence than the post. I got what I could off the post / fence, scraping and brushing them into the box before transferring them into the new hive.  
Another day later, back again. This time there was no sign of them on the post, and unfortunately no bees in the box. I obviously didn't get the queen. Thankfully, the hive they came from has a queen cell, so all is not yet lost. Another lesson learned, some more experience to add to that already gained.

1 comment:

Phil Moore said...

Hi
Again a bit late now but it is often worth putting a bait hive near your hives at head height or more, a nucleus hive is ideal if you have one make sure you have a piece of old comb to act as ban attractant. If no nuc hive is available any strong waterproof box of that size will do provided you put some old comb and move any swarm into a hive before they build too much natural comb.

Phil