Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A grave matter...

In recent weeks I've been to two funerals, both of uncles, and returned from France to find out a friend from Liverpool, who was only a year older than me, had been found dead in his house only a few days before. It made me think of how vulnerable and soft people are, how easy it seems to be to snuff out the light of life, and how coping with death can be a difficult and painful process.

In Bayeux, we passed a funeral shop and were smiling at the stones available to adorn graves. At first I thought they were ridiculous, but having reflected on it for a few days, why shouldn't people have images on the stones that portray their life-long loves and hobbies? Here are a selection of the ones in the window:
For the gambler, an unbeatable poker hand to give them a good start in the next world.
For the farmer, a reminder of all those early starts with only the occasional pat on the back.

And for the motorist, chugging along heaven's highways in an upturned pram.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And that also make you think what would you put on your grave: a drum kit, a few chickens or a beehive? It is pretty obvious what plants you would pick...potatoes?

Simon said...

If I was to be buried it would be potatoes as they need lots of organic matter. I think I would prefer to have my ashes scattered somewhere warm and by the sea...