Friday, March 14, 2008

Like a big game of Jack Straws...

We had a trip out to Ruthin in North Wales last week to collect my first hive. It was a wild and woolly day – appropriate for a day out across the border. The farm was easy to find and in a lovely setting, nestling under a stone outcrop and flanked on two sides by barns. The house dates back to 1500 or thereabouts and came complete with a range in the kitchen which was radiating heat like there was no such thing as global warming but a welcome respite from the chill winds of winter blasting across the fields.

We spotted a wheelbarrow full of bits when we arrived and, sure enough, this was mine. I would need to transform it into a working hive. This is what it looked like when we got it home:

Since then I’ve started to put it together and it looks ok, even if I do say so myself. The front room smells lovely, though, as the wood gives off a slight aroma which you catch every so often when you walk past.

No comments: