Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A sting in the tail

The pedigree of honey

Does not concern the bee;

A clover, anytime to him

is aristocracy.

Emily Dickinson

One half of Manchester Beekeeper's apiary


This last weekend saw the second part of the beekeeping course with the practical side, following on from the theory I did at the end of January. A chance to put theory into practice and, looking back, an opportunity to make sense of all the things I’ve been reading over winter.

Quite a few people turned up and we were split into groups. First off for our group was extracting. Into the extracting room we went, uncapped the frames from two supers and loaded up the extractor, which would spin the honey out. This is probably the stickiest job I have ever done and it gets everywhere. We had to wear white coats, hair nets and overshoes for health and safety reasons, but the amount of finger-licking that was going on may have made those precautions pointless. Once extracted, we were able to bottle a jar of our own - harder than it sounds - and keep it as a souvenir. Mine is in the cupboard at home now, stuck to the shelf.

Using honey to glue things together

After a brew it was time to look at making brood boxes, supers and frames. This was particularly interesting for me as I bought plans for building a hive from scratch and up to now they haven't made much sense, although spilling coffee all over them didn’t help. It was useful to see how things go together and to get a few tips, but I did feel that some of the things were a little over the top.

After hammering away and glueing for an hour or so it was time for dinner and then it was 'put your bee suits on' and get outside. It may have been the beginning of March but it was as cold as a witch’s tit outside, with strong winds and little sun. I felt sorry for the bees as they were disturbed half a dozen times on each day and I’m sure being exposed to the cold wasn’t doing them any good. Plenty seemed to be dead on the floor and within minutes of us opening the hive more were rolling around in death throes.

First job was to light a smoker. Despite putting paper, leaves and little sticks in and my penchant for pyromania, I still couldn’t get it lit after three attempts. We resorted to the blowlamp to get it going in the end and that’s the way I’ll go from here on. Braving the wind we were then allowed to inspect a hive and, starting with a super, go through each frame and have a look.


Looking at an empty frame of foundation like I know what I'm doing


Because of the cold we were only able to look at two hives, both of which had queens that were either not laying, or were laying only drones. I think it was the cold that kept them quiet because there was hardly any movement on the frame and I had a small pang of nervousness as I lifted my first frame full of bees.

Looking for the queen

Actually getting to grips with the hive, taking it apart, checking for the queen (which I managed to find twice, despite her being unmarked), prising apart propolised frames and learning how all the bits fit together. What I need to do now is get my own hive and bees and start the whole process on my own. The more I get into it the more fascinating I find it and think it will be something I can get years of enjoyment from.

The view between two frames


Thanks to Vinny for the photos.

No comments: